- October 2, 2017 – Submissions open
- October 20, 2017; 5 p.m. EST – Deadline for discounted early-bird submissions
- November 10, 2017; 5 p.m. EST – Deadline for submissions
- December 1, 2017 – Submissions for International Album of the Year and Album of the Year open
- January 4, 2018; 5 p.m. EST – Submissions for International Album of the Year and Album of the Year close
CARAS has also introduced the following changes this year:
Comedy Album of the Year
- CARAS is pleased to announce the return of the Comedy Album of the Year category sponsored by SiriusXM Canada. Eligible comedy albums must be available for national sale and recorded by a comedic performer or performers of any of the following disciplines: stand-up, sketch, improvisation, and musical comedy. The nominees and winners will be determined by a judge vote.
Francophone Album of the Year
- The nominees for Francophone Album of the Year will now be determined by the equal weight of consumption and judge vote. The final round will be decided by judges.
Rap Recording of the Year
- The winner for Rap Recording of the Year will now be determined by an Academy Delegate vote.
Album Artwork of the Year
- The Recording Package of the Year category has been changed to Album Artwork of the Year to more clearly define the classification criteria for those interested in submitting.
Eligibility for the 2018 Awards applies to music released for national sale between September 1, 2016 and November 10, 2017. Albums available for pre-order online no later than November 10 will also qualify. Pre-ordered online recordings will need to be available no later than November 24.
Eligible musicians are Canadian Citizens, which are defined by CARAS to be that where a majority of the group members hold Canadian birth certificates, passports or are Canadian Permanent Resident(s) with residency in Canada during the last six months of the eligibility period.
Voting Process by the Numbers
330 Judges are responsible for listening to each of the submissions and voting for the best product in the genre. The judges change each year and are spread out in different facets of the music industry and different regions throughout Canada.
50 Nominating & Voting Committee Members maintain the integrity of the JUNO Awards. It is their responsibility to monitor any changes within the industry as it relates to the awards. The committee brings any necessary modifications to the attention of the Board of Directors.
190+ Music Advisory Committee Members are responsible for ensuring that each of the submissions in their particular genre meets the required qualification for the JUNO Awards. Each category has an associated advisory committee.
Those considering putting their hat in the ring should note that one can save up to 40% on submissions by signing up as a CARAS Academy Delegate at www.junoawards.ca/join.